the aas administers a program for aas-member authors who require subventions to ensure publication of their first books.
a total of $15,000 in subventions will be awarded each year with individual awards ranging from $1,000 up to a maximum of $3,000.
funded through the aas development fund, aas first book subventions will be awarded on a competitive basis to aas-member first-time book authors who have already secured provisional contracts from established academic presses.
subventions will be paid directly to the press.
there are two annual deadlines, march 1 and september 1.
applications will be reviewed by the aas editorial board after each semi-annual deadline (march 1 and september 1). decisions typically take 4-6 weeks and will be final. please note: the aas editorial board is unable to consider previously unsuccessful applications in subsequent rounds.
1. the author applicant must be a current aas member and have held continuous membership in aas for at least two years immediately prior to application.
2. the book in question must be the applicant's first individually-authored book (an applicant who was the editor of a previously published edited volume is eligible to apply).
3. the applicant must have a completed manuscript with a provisional contract from an established academic press stipulating the need for an outside subvention in order to ensure publication.
4. the manuscript must be in english, must make a substantial contribution to the field of asian studies, and must be based on primary research in the appropriate languages.
5. the applicant must have sought subventions from alternative sources.
6. the press must agree to acknowledge an aas subvention in the front matter of the published book.
7. the press must agree to provide a written report within two months of publication of the book. this report should contain a narrative account of what was accomplished with the subvention funds along with a line-by-line financial report. this report should be sent by e-mail to aas publications manager, jon wilson, [email protected] or by regular mail to jon wilson, publications manager, association for asian studies, 825 victors way, suite 310, ann arbor, mi 48108 usa.
applications should consist of the following items and be submitted electronically to aas publications manager, jon wilson, [email protected].
1. a completed aas first book subvention application form.this application form must be completed by the press/publisher representative and not the author. there are two annual deadlines, march 1 and september 1.
2. the applicant's curriculum vitae.
3. a summary of the manuscript in no more than 1,000 words.
4. a full table of contents.
5. one representative chapter of the manuscript, complete with citations.
6. two reader report summaries (up to 300 words each